You are probably aware by now of Medicare Part D, which provides a prescription drug benefit to seniors. But did you know that you also may be able to qualify for extra help from Social Security?
If you are covered by Medicare but have limited income and resources, Social Security may step up to pay part of your monthly premiums, annual deductibles and prescription co-payments. The extra help is worth an average of $3,900 per year.
You can qualify for extra help if you have income limited to $16,245 for an individual or $21, 855 for a married couple living together.
Even if your annual income is higher, however, you still may be able to get some help depending on your specific circumstances. These include:
- Supporting other family members who live with you;
- Having earnings from work;
- Living in Alaska or Hawaii; and/or
- Having resources limited to $12,510 for an individual or $25,010 for a married couple living together. Resources include such things as bank accounts, stocks and bonds.
Social Security has an online application for those interested. You can also call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and ask for the Application for Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs, or go to the nearest Social Security office.
To learn more about the Medicare prescription drug plans and special enrollment periods, visit www.medicare.gov or call 1-800-MEDICARE.
- Merck and insurance companies at cross-purposes over Gardasil
- Stats: More Americans getting priced out of prescription drugs
- Study: Medicare coverage gap is forcing seniors to skip their meds
- How to pick the best Medicare prescription drug plan for you
- Elderly getting scammed by Medicare imposters
- Who runs Washington? Hint: It’s not Democrats or Republicans
Search Blog Posts
Our Healthcare100 Ranking
Tagsadverse drug reactions Affordable Care Act big pharma Canadian drugs canadian pharmacies canadian pharmacy compare drug prices consumer reports Dave Ramsey discount drugs divine healing Drug costs Drug Importation Drug Prices eDrugSearch.com FDA Fosamax healing scriptures Health 2.0 health blog directory health blogs healthcare100 healthcare reform Hypertension Jehova Rophe Jesus Christ Lipitor Medi Share miracles Obamacare online pharmacy dictionary osteoporosis Pharmacies pharmacy spam Prescription drugs promote health blog Proverbs 3:5-8 reimportation relenza Roche saving money submit health blog Tamiflu The Great Physician The Lord our Healer