Taking prescription drugs can have amazing benefits to help curb or eliminate the symptoms of many diseases and disorders ranging from diabetes and high blood pressure to unhealthy cholesterol levels. But prescription drug prices that seem to be constantly escalating can prove a hardship to many individuals and families. It pays to become a savvy consumer in order to avoid feeling financially strapped paying for the prescription drugs that benefit your overall health. Here are 5 easy tips to beat rising prescription drug prices.
- Ask your doctor if you can substitute a generic drug for a brand name prescription drug. Many generic drugs that do the same job as more expensive brand-name medicines can end up costing you only one-fifth as much as their more costly counterparts and you still get the same good results. Generics pass the same strict scrutiny from the FDA and are safe to use. If there is not a generic brand of the prescription medication available for something you are using, ask your doctor if he can prescribe an alternative drug that is more affordable if his original prescription proves to become a financial hardship for your budget.
- Don’t be afraid to compare prices when shopping for prescription drugs, which are just like any other commodity you want to get the best price and value for. Websites such as eDrugSearch.com can prove to be an invaluable resource to help you compare prescription drug prices. Spending a few extra minutes doing comparison shopping will show you how widely drug prices for prescription medication vary from one source to the next and you can easily find yourself saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars because you located a cheaper yet just as reliable source for your medications as your local pharmacy.
- Ordering your prescription medications online not only saves you time but also money. It can be a drag to stand in line at the pharmacy counter at your local drugstore to give in your prescription form only to be told to come back at a later time to pick up your order. Online prescription drug orders can be done in the privacy and comfort of your own home and your order can be shipped directly to your doorstep.
- Ask about financial assistance programs to help you beat rising prescription drug costs. Search the internet for cost-free programs and reduced-cost programs you may qualify for depending upon your income, your financial circumstances and your age.
- Invest in an affordable health insurance policy that covers all or some of your drug costs. In addition to beating rising prescription drug prices, you’ll also be entitled to use your insurance on doctor visits and other medical tests and procedures when necessary.
About this Angie’s List Expert: Cary Byrd is the president and founder of eDrugSearch.com. Based in San Antonio, eDrugSearch.com is a free cost comparison engine that helps consumers get safe access to affordable medications and advocates licensed online pharmacies as a widely accepted alternative.
- How do you cope with escalating drug costs?
- Merck and insurance companies at cross-purposes over Gardasil
- 7 Easy Tips on How to Save Money on Prescriptions without Insurance
- It’s not just the elderly who can’t afford prescription drugs
- Pharmacists offer six ways to cut drug costs
- Going broke because of high prescription drug costs
Search Blog Posts